The California Chafee Grant is a federal and state funded grant for California foster youth to go to school at eligible California colleges (as well as out of state colleges), including career and technical schools.
Career and technical schools specialize in training students for a specific trade or occupation, such as for jobs working in the healthcare industry, for example.
Some of the benefits of attending a career or technical school are:
- Tuition costs are cheaper than a traditional 4 year college
- Job training is hands-on, career-focused learning
- Classes are usually smaller offering a nurturing learning environment with personalized attention
- Students usually receive job search assistance
If you’d like to apply for a California Chafee Grant for job training, here are some things you need to know.
What Are the Qualifying Requirements for the California Chafee Grant?
To qualify, you must:
- Be a current or former foster youth, with foster youth dependency of the court being established between 16 and 18 years old
- Not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year
- Have financial need
How Do I Apply for the California Chafee Grant?
To apply, you must submit:
- A Chafee Grant Program Application here
- A Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) Application here
- Ask your chosen school to submit the Chafee Need Analysis Report (NAR) (for 2015-2016 applicants only)
* If you don’t have a social security number, submit the California Dream Act Application here. This will provide you with the id needed to submit a Chafee Grant Application.
What Happens Next?
Once you apply:
- Your application will be reviewed by the Chafee Grant Commission
- Your chosen school will determine your financial aid eligibility
- If you’re awarded a grant, your school will verify payment eligibility and issue the grant check to you
You can learn more about the California Chafee Grant for foster youth here.
Additionally, if you’d like to discuss using the California Chafee Grant to train for a healthcare career at Bay Area Medical Academy* at either our San Francisco or San Jose campuses, reach out to us on 415-217-0077 or at info(at)bamasf.com.
* Bay Area Medical Academy students must be 18 years of age or older.