Bay Area Medical Academy is currently placing students for clinical externships at San Francisco General Hospital, Kaiser Permanente, Quest Diagnostics, California Pacific Medical Center, SF City Clinic, San Mateo County General Hospital, Palo Alto Medical Foundation and many other hospitals and clinical labs.
However, students should be aware that top employers often screen candidates for externship placement through a rigorous evaluation and interview process similar to their hiring process. They select the students with the highest class ranking, top scores on certification exams as well as outstanding practical skills.
Students should keep in mind that their performance in class (grades, attendance, lab skills evaluations) will directly impact their chances of being placed with a top employer.
Requirements For Clinical Externship Placement
- Updated Resume (including skills learned in class)
- Immunization Records
- MMR Documentation of recent immunization (booster) or immunity (titer) against Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) Two doses or titer
- Two Screenings for Tuberculosis (PPD within the last 6 months or a chest x-ray within the last two years if TB positive. If you have had a positive test in the past, appropriate follow-up documentation is required, including chest x-ray report and provider’s clearance for school)
- Hepatitis B vaccination (Three doses or titer.) Documentation of the first vaccination of the series is typically sufficient, however some externship sites require all three
- TDAP (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) Current documentation, within the last ten years, of tetanus and diphtheria immunization, with recommended pertussis booster
- Seasonal Flu Vaccine
- CPR Certification (American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers)
- Pass Medical Assistant course
- Pass final clinical skills evaluation from your Medical Assistant instructor
- Pass the NCCT National Exam for Phlebotomy Technician and Medical Assistant
- Pass a drug screening (if required by the clinical externship site)
- Pass a criminal background check (if required by the clinical externship site)